Historic Gymnasium – Reddick, IL

Built in 1951 by Clarence Gall, the Reddick High School gymnasium is up for Historic Preservation in Kankakee County Illinois due to its rare engineering and architectural design.  Since its construction, the gym has undergone very little change.  The barrel-vaulted roof, with ribs of glue-laminated wood is in great condition, as is the original wooden floating floor.  For 37 years it was home to the Reddick High School Bulldogs sports teams in the R.U.C.E. (Reddick, Union Hill, Campus and Essex) Community School District and later for the Reddick Grade School as part of the Herscher School District.

historic_gymnasium historic_gymnasium_2

From 1912 to 1988, the land next to the historic gymnasium was home to Reddick High School. As the school district joined with Herscher in 1988, the PTA of Reddick Grade School donated a memorial featuring the cornerstone of the high school and the cement stonework that was above both entry doors to the high school building. The Reddick Grade School building, located to the far left of the gymnasium, was demolished in 1989 and the high school met the same fate in 1998.

high_school_memorial high_school_memorial_2

Comments are closed